About 25 years ago, when my wife and I first seriously contemplated leaving Ottawa, Canada and settling permanently abroad with our then five-year-old son, we drew up a list of requirements. Among them, in no exact order, were:
- good, affordable schools, public and private, for our son
- good, affordable, accessible qualified medical care
- a high degree of personal security
- domestic food self-sufficiency
- a relatively advanced infrastructure
- natural beauty and a moderate, enjoyable tropical climate
- ease of travel to/from Canada
- accessible recreation, such as beaches, tropical adventures, etc.
- an atmosphere where foreigners were welcomed and accepted
- the possibility of actually legally owning a home or property
We traveled to and explored several wonderful countries, including Jamaica, Colombia, Cyprus, St, Kitts and Nevis… All had their strong points and compelling features. My wife was even promised an associate professorship at the prestigious University of West Indies campus in Kingston, Jamaica.
Yet only one country ranked first or second on all the above: Costa Rica, even back then, almost a quarter of a century ago.
Today, everyday living in Costa Rica is much easier than it was 25 years ago. Unlike then, virtually all the amenities of home, such as modern banking, modern supermarkets, fine dining, upscale boutiques, (relatively) good roads, easy shopping for just about anything, modern telecommunications, high-speed internet access, are accessible to all expats who decide to purchase a home in Costa Rica. And I still find Costa Rica’s natural beauty, virtually everywhere I travel through the country, as stunning and breathtaking as I did when we first moved here.
And for those who don’t speak Spanish, at least at first, a lot of Costa Ricans, more than you might think, especially the younger generation of students and professionals, speak excellent English and other languages.
We did it. Now it’s your turn. You won’t regret it. There are now experienced, professional realtors like those at Real Estate Costa Rica, who specialize in houses for sale in Costa Rica, house rentals in Costa Rica, luxury condos, and selling real estate in Costa Rica in general to people living outside the country. Moving to Costa Rica today, compared to when we moved here 25 years ago, is a snap!
Want to know more? Feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.